Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

in-house outhouse

0 comments
 

One of the first things we had to do when we decided to renovate the Grange was the plumb the place. As the above picture hints, there was indeed a bathroom space in the house...it was just a la outhouse. Which, really, once you get around the fact that a public meeting place had an outhouse inside it, raises a bunch of questions: how long was this in use? Did people use it during meetings? Was there some sort of protocol regarding its use, like a whole set of outhouse etiquette rules that have faded away from our collective conscious? I sort of need to know this. 

Because, guys, I'm not even telling you the worst part: it was a two hole-r. Meaning that behind that door, there were two "seats" with nothing but maybe a foot of space between them.

I mean, what? Did barbarians live in Chaumont in the 1890's? Were our ancestors that...casual?

Either way, thank the lord we are not living like that anymore. Instead, we have these:

Because these are clearly so much better.


Anyhow, we hopefully will not have either of these bathroom areas in use for the party, because of the aforementioned bathroom installation that will be occurring sometime this week. Woo hoo! 

I will leave you with this: the soil underneath the old bathroom (which was located in the far righthand corner of the downstairs) is really, really good. I think I might use it for our future herb garden, if I can wrap my head around that. (Ha!)




No comments:

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff